Monday, February 23, 2009

Thoughts from Courtney on "Seredipity"

[Chelle's post on Serendipity] reminds me of Steve Taylor's advice to Donald Miller to be a working artist and "put in his hours". As a storyteller, I think of seminary as "putting in my hours" in some ways. The art we make happens out of what we are immersed in, right? I can't force a serendipitous discovery in rehearsal…but I can rehearse. I can't seem to write performances that reveal God…but I can revel in the revelation I've received and just keep performing. Chelle, you asked "how do these moments happen?"
Is it merely a matter of "noticing"? That language makes me think I could train my senses to sneak up on serendipitous moments and take them by force if I'm self disciplined enough. I do believe in the discipline that keeps our eyes and ears open and ready to receive the beautiful…but isn't there an element of gifting there? It's serendipitous because I wasn't seeking it---but I found it. Or Someone gave it to me.

I guess I'm trusting at some point that the sun will set just right and the people will stand and listen and eventually sit on the grass while I'm telling my story. It will be Serendipity born in the midst of discipline? I'm not saying that one comes from the other, but they definitely seem to touch. I guess I'm left with the same question: How DO these moments happen? I don't know, but thank God they do!

-Courtney

1 comment:

  1. Where is "Chelle's post on Serendipity" that Courtney refers to? I want to read it!

    I love (and needed to be reminded) about Steve Taylor's advice to Donald Miller to "put in his hours."

    ReplyDelete