Monday, May 2, 2011

Arcabas

Arcabas, Resurrection, 2003 (part of a polyptych)
I want to introduce you to a French artist, Arcabas. My friend Kirstin introduced me to this artist a couple of years ago. The image I have here is toward the end of Aracabas' polyptych, Passion-Resurrection. (There is a video below of an instillation of this series. All of the paintings are thought provoking.) I find this image stunning. This is a very physical representation of Christ's resurrection, yet it still maintains a sense of the wonder and the glory of the defeat of death in this act of God. It shows the tension between the pain and the cost of the cross with the triumph over the grave. This is no image of a disembodied triumphalism. It is this Jesus that sits at the right hand of the Father interceding on our behalf. This Jesus, who went through death back to life, is the one who is our High Priest. I think that Arcabas captures this wondrous broken beauty of Jesus in ways that I don't yet understand. His art pulls me in and helps me to see the story anew...

Here are some links for you to check out:

No comments:

Post a Comment