Thursday, June 2, 2011

Freedom in the Groove

OK, I cannot help myself. Joshua Redmonds' album, "Freedom in the Groove," just makes want to get up and dance. This album gets inside my soul. From time to time I crave it in strange ways. I just have to hear that opening where he turns the horn into a percussion instrument of sorts, setting up the groove and the melody for the tune, "Hide and Seek." The solid subtly of the groove grabs me in an indescribable way.

And it is the whole album, from start to finish, that inspires me, but maybe I'll talk about the rest of the album another time, it deserves the attention. For now, here is Joshua Redmond and his band live at the Montreux Jazz Festival in 1997 playing "Hide and Seek." Maybe it won't be your cup of tea, but I hope it inspires something in you.



No comments:

Post a Comment