Sunday, February 10, 2013

Ballet For Martha: Appalachian Spring by Aaron Copland

My orchestra recently played Copland's Appalachian Spring. It is such a beautiful piece. It was originally written for Martha Graham and, evidently, Copland only referred to this work as Ballet for Martha.

I love that the original ballet, choreographed by and starring Martha Graham, is up on youtube. Here are the four parts of this beautiful ballet. If I were more sophisticated, I would link them all together but, alas, I am not!







2 comments:

  1. My absolute favorite piece of music, since at least the age of 8.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you, across the pond! Hope you are well!

      It is becoming one of my favorite pieces as well, especially after watching the ballet. I loved the differences in orchestration in the ballet. There some slight and some significant differences between the ballet score and the orchestral suite.

      Delete