Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Thinking about what to read: Feminist Theology

When I was growing up, Feminism was considered to be dangerous for a proper young Baptist girl to think about. I might get ideas and leave the faith. I might assert myself too much and not know my place. The problem was that I was one of those young women who had a strange combination of characteristics: I had pastoral gifts and I thought too much. If only I could get married to a pastor or a missionary, then I could find my place. (My husband is neither...)

It wasn't until my final year in university that I discovered Feminist Theology. I have to admit that I didn't always agree with the women that I was reading, but that didn't matter. They gave language to my experience as a Christian woman. Under their tutelage I began my vocational path to become a theologian. I didn't need to wait for a man or any patriarchal authority to validate how and where my giftings should be used. It was the Spirit of God that lead me to my vocational path and to the finding of my voice.

Ange Espiegle
Arcabas
I guess I could describe my experience as a "setting free." Not everyone has this experience when reading Feminist Theology, but as with all reading in graduate school, I would hope that diverse voices would challenge your preconceived ideas so that you might think more intentionally and critically about your life, faith, and theology.

These women discuss God through the lens of feminine experience. They wonder and question how human context shapes Christian doctrine, because those who control our language and questions about God have a lot of power over the body of Christ. As Wittgenstein argued, "the limits of my language mean the limits of my world. All I know is what I have words for" (Ludwig Wittgenstein, Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus, 1922, 5.6). Feminist theologians question our language and wonder about the false limitations that have been placed upon the feminine imagination. There is an open wonder about the redemptive and reconciling possibilities for women, without the subjugation of roles or power or language. That sounds a lot like Jesus to me.

This group is for those who are curious, who want to be challenged, who want to explore the context of feminine language and questions, and, most of all, want to encounter God. This encounter is the goal of all theology.

Viva la difference!! Hear what the Spirit is saying to God's people!

Here are a few videos:

Elizabeth Johnson:


Janet Soskice:


For Fun:


No comments:

Post a Comment